A Gem Well Taken

The moment you realize you're a gem, is the moment you are swept off your feet!

Monday, January 08, 2007

A Hero

As I went through Juliana's closet this past weekend, I found a poem my sister wrote in Junior High and thought I would share it. It got me thinking of all the people in my life that I would consider a hero, and then made me wonder if they even knew I held them in such high esteem. I encourage you to take the time and let the hero’s in your life know how special they really are to you!


I don’t exactly know how to describe a hero, and I don’t exactly know what makes one. There are many different kinds of people considered to be a hero. Martin Luther King, now he helped make this country a more just place to live. Ever since he contributed to our country, it has been easier for many different races to get along. Why, I don’t know, maybe he changed the way we think…He is a hero.
George Washington could also be considered a hero. He was a great role model for how our government leaders should act and lead our government. His great leadership made him famous.
To some people, Louis Gonzales a baseball player for the Arizona Diamond Backs, could be considered a hero. He could inspire someone to follow their dreams and not to give up because of certain standards others had given him. He has broken and made many baseball records, which makes him a lot of money. He is a great baseball player, and maybe even a hero.
To me you don’t have to be famous, you don’t have to make a lot of money, and you don’t have to change the world. Being someone others look up to, being a great person, that can make you a hero. I think a person who has become a great role model can be a hero.
Personally my older sister is a person I could call my hero. Ever since I was a baby I always wanted to be with her. As I grew older I wanted to be just like her. She has always helped me become a better person. Even though she has never been perfect and will never be she keeps getting closer to becoming that perfect person and along her way she helps me grow and become more of a person worth looking up to.
My sister has been there for me in many ways. She is one of my best friends. Even though she lives many miles away and I don’t see her very often, when I do we have so much fun as she teaches me without even knowing it. There are many different kinds of heroes. But I think a person like my sister, a person who can be a great role model, the kind of people who aren’t famous, who don’t make a ton of money and haven’t changed the world, but have changed a life. They’re the kind of hero worth becoming.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a great poem. Made me tear up. When I read that I was thinking of my own big sis and how much I look up to her...even though she is so many miles away and doesn't make all the money in the world...
Thank you for sharing that tid bit of your life. That was really sweet! *Randi*

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home